Critical Reflection

At the start of the module, I had set a few goals for myself. I had wanted to improve on my presentation skills, my confidence in public speaking and my issues with body posture during a presentation. Most often, my lack of confidence was due to me being unsure if my content and ideas was being relayed to the audience. I was introduced with the concept of critical thinking through the Paul Elder’s framework. The Paul Elder’s framework consists of three main components, which taught me how to ask rational questions, analyse and evaluate data from research and how to build on knowledge by observing ideas. The Paul Elder’s framework was heavily applied when I was researching for content for my report writing and while creating content for my presentation or report. Because of the concept of the Paul Elder’s framework, content for my report writing or presentation became easier as I soon was able to understand how to convey my points and ideas to the audience effectively. Understanding what a good presentation and report gave me the confidence to communicate, via presentation or writing. In addition, critical reflection was conveyed to me in the module. Critical reflection is crucial in a report as it give the reader a contrast of ideal from reality, a solution and how the solution helps to move reality towards ideality. With the knowledge of critical reflection, a technical report’s structure and presentation became clear to me as I must convey the ideal, gap and goals of what I am presenting to the audiences.  


While working on my technical report. I had learned not only how to work on a report, but also on how to work on a report as a team. I realised how communication in between a team is critical in making a report flow. Without a proper communication channel between groupmates, the report’s content might look out of context or even contradict itself. I had learned the importance of citations in APA style as citations not only let the readers know where I have gotten my research from, they can utilise the source cited to learn more about my ideas and concepts. In addition, citations are important to show that my content is credible so to gain trust among the audience that my content and ideas are right. The mock presentation taught me many lessons on how to give an ideal presentation. Firstly, I heavily relied on a script. Relying on a script made me look not engaging to the audience. Eye contact towards the audience was little and I looked hesitant on my ideas and concept. The mock presentation not only taught me on my flaws, but also on the flaws of others. I have learned how to introduce and transition to my other group mates professionally. Not only it gives respect to my other group mates, but it also shows that my group’s content flows well. Additionally, I learned how to keep my composure and not be affected by the audience’s laughter or comments. 


With lessons taught in the mock presentation, I applied it into the actual presentation. Instead of having a script during the presentation, I brought objects to showcase my ideas and concept. The audience is able to understand content more effectively as visual aids are helpful while presenting. Not only does the audience benefitted with a visual aid, I am able to understand what I am going to say all without memorising a script. Because of that, I felt more confident in my presentation and I am able to engage the audience more effectively. Unfortunately, the feedback I received after the presentation was that I had rushed through the introduction of my topic. This is an issue that I must keep in mind in future presentations, as it is important to have a good introduction. Without a good introduction, the audiences might struggle with digesting content and subsequent content might be unclear to the audiences.   





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revised Self Introduction Letter

Summary / Reader Response Draft #4